Global business expansion
From 1907 to the 1950s
- Asahi Glass Co., Ltd. was established in Amagasaki, Hyogo Prefecture
- The first shipment of sheet glass was exported to England
- Headquarters was moved to Tokyo
- Shoko Glass Co., Ltd. was established in China as Asahi Glass’ first business outside Japan
- The Asahi Foundation for Chemical Industry Promotion (now the Asahi Glass Foundation) was established to commemorate our 25th anniversary
- Stocks were listed on the Tokyo Stock Exchange
- Concluded agreement to export caustic soda electrolysis equipment to Indonesia
- Received Deming Prize for quickly adopting quality management
- Glass manufacturing subsidiary was established in India, demonstrating progress in expanding internationally ahead of other Japanese companies
- Asahi Glass Scholarship Foundation was established to Commemorate our 50th anniversary
The 1960s and 1990s
- Entry into the flat glass market in Thailand
- Commenced glass production operations in Indonesia
- AGC Inc. acquired Glaverbel S.A. and MaasGlas B.V., glass companies in Belgium and the Netherlands
- Full-scale entry of the automotive glass business in the United States
- Full-scale entry of the chlor-alkali business in Indonesia
- Entry into Russia’s glass market.
- Creation of AGC Group Vision, "Look Beyond"
In-house Company system was introduced
- The Group brand was unified as “AGC”
- Started production of float glass in Brazil.
Established regional headquarters in Singapore
- AGC plus management policy was implemented
- Automotive glass production base established in Morocco
Information gathering and marketing bases established in India and Dubai
- Bioscience businesses in Japan, U.S.A and Europe consolidated as AGC Biologics.
Change corporate name to AGC Inc.